RyoSoulreaper wrote: ElSmitty wrote:
RyoSoulreaper wrote: Just saying something is horrible is not how one helps the person improve.
It's a start. If someone doesn't know they are bad how are they going to get better
Yes because if I came up to you and saw you making something and just said "that sucks" then walked away is EVER so helpful. Most people would shake it off as "just being a dick"
Butting in. I agree that it's a dick thing to do, but it is
helpful, to me at least. When someone tells me my work sucks, I'll at least give it another look, looking for things that might've prompted them to say that. A second look with no goal in mind is better than no look. Actual critique that explains what sucks, why it sucks, and potential solutions is obvious much better, but a shitty crit can still be useful if you take it with a positive attitude.
That said, the flaming that went on was unacceptable on both sides. Unfortunately, there's no maturity requirement to use the Internet ):
Sprite comics are most certainly not dead, but with the end of 8BT and B&G, interest has been waning, because most of the others are comparatively lackluster. That's just Sturgeon's Law at work (90% of anything is crud), and with the end of those big two, the remaining good 10% is a lot less visible ):
If you're worried about sprite comics dying, make a good sprite comic. Make something so well-written and well-made that even people biased against sprite comics will have to concede that it's worth reading. It's not easy, but certainly worth a try. I look forward to trying, too.